Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Michigan Trip - Day Two - July 10, 2010 (Part 2)

 Forest Hill Cemetery - Houghton


After finding Joseph and Katheryn Maurine's tombstone, I was off to a good start. I spent another hour or so at Forest Hill taking more pictures and better notes.




Mt. Calvary Cemetery - Lake Linden

Marker A = St. Joseph's Church, which is on the north end of downtown
Marker B = Calvary Cemetery (as you can see, it is out of town)


Located north out of town
Part of the cemetery.
(Not as woodsy as Forest Hill)
The grass was so very, very dry, it crunched
when I walked on it
and the bugs jumped out at me.


Bosch family plot (as in Bosch beer)
(Two rows to the left is the Michaud plot.
This isn't significant, but simply interesting.)
Bosch tombstone
(in this picture, those look like
big dollar signs to the right and left!!!)

Michaud family tombstone
Buried here are the following:
Arthemise Michaud
1868-1956
Gaspard Michaud
1860-1935


Oliver and Louise Michaud
(Gaspard and Arthemise's son)


The marker at the top is St. Joseph's Church (see next posting).
The second marker shows the Michaud house (see below).
Note Lindell's Chocolate Shoppe is two blocks south.

Read more about Lindell's http://lindellchocolateshoppe.net/history.html (or atleast look at the great pictures!).  Bernice has fond memories of this place, although she wasn't able to go in and buy ice cream very often when she was real young.  I try and stop in every time I am in the UP.  It has such fabulous ambiance!!!

Gaspard and Arthemise Michaud's house
Fifth and Torch - Lake Linden
The garage portion was added on after they sold the house.
White shutters were added in the last two years.
It is really kept up nice - better than a lot of the homes.
This is the house that Bernice would stay at when she was young.  Her parents would bring her up at the beginning of the summer (Memorial Day) and pick her up at the end of summer (Labor Day).  Gaspard was gone and Arthemise was alone.  Oliver and Louise lived close.  Arthemise spoke French and Bernice spoke English.  Bernice speaks fondly of the summers she was here, but says there wasn't a lot of conversation with her Grandmother.

View from opposite side


This portion of the house was added on to that when Edward married Marie, they would live with Arthemise.  Unfortunately, that never happened.  After they married, Edward got a job in Iowa at a greenhouse - doing the electrical work, including installing the grow lights for the plants.




As I was nearing the hotel, I heard a horn blowing.  I thought it was just a boat on the canal, but then realized that it was because they had raised the middle section of the bridge to let a ship through.  I rushed out of the car and to the canal to get a picture, but it was already coming down.  You can see that it is almost in place (when the bottom of the middle section aligns with the top of the side section).

View from the hotel pier - what a beautiful day

8 comments:

  1. Love the maps and the pictures. Its very cool to know what the house looks like where Grandma would spend summers. This sure brings life to her stories.
    xoxo
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the house grandma(Bernice) went to as a child during the summer! This is so neat-thanks for sharing Aunt Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually I am not much for cemetaries...must have been all those trips to Bernards grave that I was always not sure about how those plants in the oval stayed alive. But I was truly amazed to see GreatGrandma Arthemise's grave with the date of her birth. The original Meme... thanks Jill for archieving this for us & all the future generations. This infomration would be lost without your contribution. Sincere thanks-Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post, I love it. I don't mean to jump on the wagon here but I LOVE being able to see the house Grandma spent time at...maybe she loves the color blue because of this house...just kidding. Thank you so much Auntie Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you certainly have made the past come for me regarding my dear cousin Bernice. I'm sooo glad we were part of your journey & you were part of ours. The Schutte/Schulte is very lucky to have you in it, my second cousin once removed! Did I get that right? It's great to know more about my Aunt Marie's family. Thanks & big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops....I left out the word alive in the first sentence...should be past come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, for everyone else who doesn't know, kjewells is Julie. I'm new to this!

    ReplyDelete