Saturday, September 4, 2010

Michigan Trip - Day Two - July 10, 2010

It's Saturday, my first full day in the UP and I am so ready to get going.  I have two days before the Houghton County Courthouse or Michigan Technological University library opens, so I want to concentrate of other things first. 


Two years ago when I was here with Joe in October, I spent a lot of time recording and photographing tombstones.  I thought I had taken good notes, but unfortunately, I didn't record the information soon enough after the trip and I couldn't always makes sense of my notes.  So off I am to the cemeteries to locate the tombstones and confirm what I have or take better notes!


Forest Hill Cemetery in Houghton 

I have been searching on and off for 10+ years for the parents of Michael Maurine.  Michael's parents died and he was raised by Michael and Ida Schulte.  But the family story wasn't clear as to whether Michael was the nephew of Michael Schulte or Ida.  Bernice remembers visiting Michael Maurin, his wife and children in Highland Park.  I found information on this family, but no clues as to who his parents were.  


(Searching for people in census records, birth, marriage and death records is satisfying, but if there isn't much to the search or it doesn't provide you with any exciting unknown information, it is just research.  But this type of mystery is what makes  genealogy exciting and on the edge of your seat (or up late on the Internet)!!)


Before the trip, I started piecing more and more things together, where I was quite sure I knew who Michael Maurin's parents were - Joseph and Katherine (Schulte) Maurin.  So, it was Michael Schulte's sister Katherine.  But what happened that they both died and could not raise Michael?  Where did they live, where did they die and where were they buried?


A new website for me is findagrave.com - I haven't had much success in finding family, but I took a chance -- there they were!!!!!!!!  I almost flew through my monitor!!  She is listed as "Kata".  Joseph died in February and Kata died in June - both in 1908.  Wow, I had to find out more.


This was the main reason why I decided to go to Upper Michigan.  (I'll explain more in another post as to why I went at this time.)


Back to the trip - it's Saturday...
Off I go to Forest Hill Cemetery to locate this tombstone.  All I have are the two pictures below.  Now comes the hard part - locate them in this BIG cemetery - no one is in the cemetery office to assist me.  I put on my detective hat (it's not really a hat) and begin driving around.
 Kata Maurin  Kata Maurin

There is a building in the background, so that narrows it down just a little.  After an hour, I locate it, although it doesn't look as good as the one in the picture, in fact, I could hardly read anything.  I get out my trusty tombstone cleaning kit (spray bottle of water, small and large brushes and gloves) and start scrubbing away to reveal the engravings.  There they were - it was like seeing a friend you haven't seen in a long, long time - only they were family.


Let me jump ahead a little (to Tuesday) and tell you that I could not find Joseph's obituary, as all the papers from February 1908 did not survive.  Although I did find Katherine's obituary, which told me a lot about Joseph.


MOTHER CALLED BY DEATH; CHILDREN LEFT ORPHANS
After Being a County Charge for Past Four Months Mrs. Joseph Mourin Passed Away Sunday, Leaving Three Homeless Children.
     The attention of the county authorities was called Sunday morning to a case of abject poverty, due to the death of Mrs. Joseph Mourin at her home in the hollow, back of the Copper Range round house after four months' suffering.  Three little children are left without parent, the husband and father having died four months ago, just prior to the taking sick of the mother.  Being left without funds the widow was forced to throw herself and children upon the county and with the small aid received, managed to eke out an existence.
     Mrs. Mourin passed away at an early hour Sunday morning and Sheriff Beck was summoned to the squalid home to see what could be done about the little ones.  The deceased has a brother in Calumet and a married son residing in Iron Mountain and it is possible that at least a couple of the children will be provided for.  They have been left with willing neighbors who will take care of them temporarily.
     Joseph Mourin, the husband, was badly scalded at the Michigan Smelting company's plant at Coles creek some six months ago and after a siege in the hospital of several months, returned to work, only to be stricken with a cancer, which resulted in his speedy death.  Worry and excitement brought on by her husband's death had the tendency to put Mrs. Mourin in a delicate condition and after nearly four months of suffering she was finally taken by death.  The case is a most pitiable one and there is not much fear that the children, the oldest of whom is eight and the youngest two, will want for anything.
(Source:  The Daily Mining Gazette, Tuesday, June 9, 1908)


I finally find them and it is truly such a sad story - the times were very rough back then (102 years ago) in Upper Michigan.


Now I know who Michael's parents are AND that he has a brother who is married and two other siblings.  Now I need to find them!!

1 comment:

  1. Great story and photos!- amazing this was recorded so long ago- and that you found it!- hope all is well - Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete